Natural Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Compounds in Foodstuff or Medicinal Herbs Inducing Heme Oxygenase-1 Expressionopen access
- Hahn, Dongyup; Shin, Seung Ho; Bae, Jong-Sup
- Issue Date
- heme oxygenase-1; antioxidant; anti-inflammatory compound; foodstuff; medicinal herbs
- ANTIOXIDANTS, v.9, no.12
- Journal Title
- Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) is an inducible antioxidant enzyme that catalyzes heme group degradation. Decreased level of HO-1 is correlated with disease progression, and HO-1 induction suppresses development of metabolic and neurological disorders. Natural compounds with antioxidant activities have emerged as a rich source of HO-1 inducers with marginal toxicity. Here we discuss the therapeutic role of HO-1 in obesity, hypertension, atherosclerosis, Parkinson's disease and hepatic fibrosis, and present important signaling pathway components that lead to HO-1 expression. We provide an updated, comprehensive list of natural HO-1 inducers in foodstuff and medicinal herbs categorized by their chemical structures. Based on the continued research in HO-1 signaling pathways and rapid development of their natural inducers, HO-1 may serve as a preventive and therapeutic target for metabolic and neurological disorders.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 자연과학대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.