A Rho-Associated Coiled-Coil Containing Kinase Inhibitor, Y-27632, Improves Viability of Dissociated Single Cells, Efficiency of Colony Formation, and Cryopreservation in Porcine Pluripotent Stem Cells
- Baek, Sang-Ki; Cho, Young-Soo; Kim, Ik-Sung; Jeon, Soo-Been; Moon, Dae-Ky; Hwangbo, Cheol; Choi, Jung-Woo; Kim, Tae-Suk; Lee, Joon-Hee
- Issue Date
- MARY ANN LIEBERT, INC
- Y-27632; STEM-CELLBANKER (R); colony formation; cryopreservation; porcine pluripotent stem cells
- CELLULAR REPROGRAMMING, v.21, no.1, pp.37 - 50
- Journal Title
- CELLULAR REPROGRAMMING
- Start Page
- End Page
- The establishment of porcine epiblast stem cells (pEpiSCs) and induced pluripotent stem cells (piPSCs) derived from diametrical derivations is of great importance in developing biomedical models. However, pEpiSCs and piPSCs have been technically much harder to culture than mouse embryonic stem cells, showing problematic properties such as spontaneous differentiation and apoptosis after cryopreservation. Therefore, we demonstrated that Y-27632 as a Rho-associated coiled-coil containing kinase inhibitor could prevent dissociated pEpiSCs and piPSCs from undesirable differentiation and apoptosis in cryopreservation protocols. pEpiSC 2, 8 lines, Sendai virus-induced pluripotent stem cells (Sev-iPSCs), and lentivirus-induced pluripotent stem cells were cultured with 10 mu M Y-27632 before collecting dissociated cells retrieved from colonies using various enzymes. Dissociated single cells were transferred into freezing mediums (open pulled straw vitrification, STEM-CELLBANKER (R) (SCB), 10% dimethylsulfoxide in serum) for cryopreservation. The rates of viability and colony formation obtained from dissociated porcine stem cells after freezing/thawing were examined in the presence of Y-27632. The characteristics of pluripotency and in vitro differentiation were also examined in these stem cells treated with Y-27632 after cryopreservation. As a result, the viability and efficiency of colony formation of dissociated pEpiSCs (2, 8 lines) and Sev-iPSCs treated with 10 mu M Y-27632 using the SCB cryopreservation protocol were significantly increased when compared with those of nontreated Y-27632 (p < 0.05). Pluripotency genes (OCT-3/4, NANOG, and SOX2) were positively expressed in Y-27632-treated porcine pluripotent stem cells. Also, in vitro differentiation of these stem cells was successfully induced in the presence of 10 mu M Y-27632. These results indicated that treatment of Y-27632 for single-cell dissociation and the SCB cryopreservation protocol could facilitate handling porcine pluripotent stem cells and provide the widespread use of these stem cells.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 동물생명융합학부 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.