Reflective plastic film mulches enhance light intensity, floral induction, and bioactive compounds in 'O'Neal' southern highbush blueberry
- Muneer, Sowbiya; Kim, Jun Ho; Park, Jeong Gyun; Shin, Mi Hee; Cha, Gyeong Hwan; Kim, Hong Lim; Ban, Takuya; Kumarihami, H. M. Prathibhani C.; Kim, Seong Hwa; Jeong, Goeun; Kim, Jin Gook
- Issue Date
- Anthocyanin; Blueberry yield; Mulching; Phenolic content; Reflective plastic film
- SCIENTIA HORTICULTURAE, v.246, pp.448 - 452
- Journal Title
- SCIENTIA HORTICULTURAE
- Start Page
- End Page
- Reflective plastic film mulches are used in orchards to improve fruit coloration and physical properties of plant. The present study was aimed to investigate the effect of reflective plastic film mulching on photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), number of flower buds, average berry yield, total phenol content and anthocyanin content of southern highbush blueberry cv. 'O' Neal'. The mulching treatment has showed a considerable effect on PAR and PAR was consistently increased at every 20 cm of bush height from May to September. Interestingly, blueberry yield significantly increased in abundance at the time of harvesting in mulched bushes. Furthermore, total phenol and anthocyanin contents were significantly higher in fruits harvested from mulched bushes compared to control. Besides, higher numbers of flower buds were observed in mulched blueberry bushes than the non-mulched bushes. Consequently, the reflective plastic film mulching can be recommended to implement in blueberry orchards for enhance the productivity of blueberry plants.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 원예과학부 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.