Effects of red glasswort as sodium chloride substitute on the physicochemical properties of pork loin hamopen access
- Jeong, Tae-Jun; Kim, Tae-Kyung; Kim, Hyun-Wook; Choi, Yun-Sang
- Issue Date
- ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN ASSOC ANIMAL PRODUCTION SOC
- Red Glasswort; Cooked Pork Loin Ham; Reduced Salt; Textural Properties
- ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCES, v.33, no.4, pp.662 - 669
- Journal Title
- ASIAN-AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCES
- Start Page
- End Page
- Objective: This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of red glasswort (RG) (Salicornia herbacea L.) curing on the physicochemical, textural and sensory properties of cooked pork loin ham (M. longissimus thoracis et lumborum). Methods: All treatments were cured with different salt and RG powder levels. RG0 treatment was prepared with only 4% NaCl (w/w) as a control, and RG25, 3% NaCl:1% RG (w/w); RG50, 2% NaCl:2% RG (w/w); RG75, 1% NaCl:3% RG (w/w); RG100, 0% NaCl:4% RG (w/w) treatments were prepared sequentially. All samples were individually vacuum packaged in polyethylene bags and stored for 7 d at 3 degrees C +/- 1 degrees C. Results: The results showed that as the rate of RG substitution increased, pH value, redness, myofibrillar protein solubility, and myofibrillar fragmentation index increased (p<0.05), but salt concentration and shear force decreased (p<0.05). However, there were no significant differences in cooking loss and moisture content. In terms of sensory evaluation, RG100 exhibited higher scores in tenderness and juiciness than RG0 (p<0.05). Conclusion: The partial substitution of NaCl by RG could improve the physicochemical properties, textural and sensory characteristics of cooked pork loin. Therefore, it is suggested that RG as a natural salt replacer could be an effective ingredient for developing low-sodium cured hams.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 동물생명융합학부 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.