Nickel-coated glass/epoxy honeycomb sandwich composite for broadband RCS reduction
- Kwak, Byeong-Su; Choi, Won-Ho; Noh, Yeong-Hoon; Jeong, Gi-Won; Yook, Jong-Gwan; Kweon, Jin-Hwe; Nam, Young-Woo
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- Radar-absorbing structure; Honeycomb sandwich structure; Radar cross-section (RCS); Electroless nickel plating
- COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING, v.191
- Journal Title
- COMPOSITES PART B-ENGINEERING
- In this paper, a new proposed radar-absorbing honeycomb sandwich composite with nickel-coated glass fabric, implemented via electmless plating, was applied to the leading edge of a NACA 0012 wing airfoil model to reduce the echo radar cross-section (RCS) level. The composite was designed and fabricated without dispersing conductive nanoparticles or metal magnetic micmpowders in polymer materials. The proposed composite exhibited -10 dB microwave absorption in the frequency range of 5.8-16.3 GHz, with a resonance peak of -38.1 dB at 8.2 GHz under TM mode, and an RCS reduction of 10 dB for VV polarization and 8 dB for HH polarization in the frequency range of 6.0-17.8 GHz. When the proposed absorber was applied to the leading edge of NACA 0012, the simulated echo RCS level was reduced by 10 dB from C-band to Ku-band under both horizontal and vertical polarizations. A flatwise compressive test was conducted to evaluate mechanical performance of the composite. The proposed composite can be potentially applied to the radar-absorbing structure of stealth aircrafts.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공학계열 > Division of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.