Adjustment of Isothermal Transformation Diagrams Using Finite-Element Optimization of the Jominy Testopen access
- Irani, Missam; Chung, Sukhwan; Kim, Mincheol; Lee, Kwangoh; Joun, Mansoo
- Issue Date
- finite-element; isothermal transformation diagram; Jominy test; optimization; phase fraction
- METALS, v.10, no.7
- Journal Title
- A practical method for adjusting and optimizing isothermal transformation (IT) diagrams using the Jominy test is presented. The method is based on a finite-element optimization procedure, which iteratively minimizes the error between the target phase fractions and the corresponding finite-element solutions at the sample points using an optimization tool. A standard Jominy test of AISI 52100 bearing steel is used to investigate the feasibility and reliability of the method. Three optimization parameters for each IT diagram curve are mathematically applied to the modified Kirkaldy model. These parameters are the design variables in the optimization. The curves obtained from the modified Kirkaldy model are used as the initial guesses in the optimization and they approach the experimental IT diagram by minimizing the error. Good agreement is observed between the optimized diagram and the experimental diagram reported in the literature. The predicted phase fractions using the experimental IT diagram, the IT diagram obtained from the modified Kirkaldy model, and those obtained from the optimized model are compared and demonstrate that the adjustment or optimization procedure significantly improves the accuracy of the predicted phase fraction of the model. The applicability of the method is investigated in a practical case study.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공학계열 > Division of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.