Development of a simulation program related to patient safety: Focusing on medication erroropen access
- Yu, M.; Kim, E.-Y.; Kim, J.K.; Lee, Y.
- Issue Date
- Korean Academy of Nursing Administration
- Medication error; Nursing students; Patient safety; Simulation training
- Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, v.27, no.2, pp.107 - 117
- Journal Title
- Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration
- Start Page
- End Page
- Purpose: Ensuring patient safety is an essential professional competency that is conceptualized and developed during undergraduate nursing education. To reduce the incidence of preventable medication errors, it is critical to learn how errors are made and the importance of collaboration with healthcare workers. This study was done to develop a simulation program related to the medication process and improving patient safety in nursing students. Methods: This methodological study was designed to develop a simulation program on teaching preventable medication errors and communication among nurses, doctors, pharmacists and nurse managers in the nursing management curriculum of colleges of nursing. The design included creation of two scenarios. Guideline-based scenarios were verified by nursing experts using the three-round Delphi method. Results: The two scenarios using high-fidelity patient simulators or standard patients address 'resolving medication errors related to patients' identification and history, and reporting safety incidents' and 'resolving medication errors related to medication prescription and dispensing, and reporting safety incidents'. Conclusion: This simulation program supports practical education for nursing students in the nursing management course and novice nurses in patient safety-related education. ? 2021 Korean Academy of Nursing Administration.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 간호대학 > Department of Nursing > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.