gamma-Oryzanol Improves Exercise Endurance and Muscle Strength by Upregulating PPAR delta and ERR gamma Activity in Aged Mice
- Ahn, Jisong; Son, Hyo Jeong; Seo, Hyo Deok; Ha, Tae Youl; Ahn, Jiyun; Lee, Hyunjung; Shin, Seung Ho; Jung, Chang Hwa; Jang, Young Jin
- Issue Date
- aged mice; ERR gamma; PPAR delta; skeletal muscle function; gamma-Oryzanol
- MOLECULAR NUTRITION & FOOD RESEARCH, v.65, no.14
- Journal Title
- MOLECULAR NUTRITION & FOOD RESEARCH
- Scope: gamma-Oryzanol, a well-known antioxidant, has been used by body builders and athletes to boost strength and increase muscle gain, without major side effects. However, the effect of gamma-Oryzanol on sarcopenia and the underlying molecular mechanism is poorly understood. Results: Aged mice fed with the gamma-Oryzanol diet do not show significant changes in muscle weight, but show increased running endurance as well as improved grip strength. The expression and activity of PPAR delta and ERR gamma are increased in skeletal muscle of gamma-Oryzanol supplemented mice. gamma-Oryzanol upregulates oxidative muscle fibers by MEF2 transcription factor, and PGC-1 alpha and ERR alpha expressions. Fatty acid oxidation related genes and mitochondria biogenesis are upregulated by gamma-Oryzanol. In addition, gamma-Oryzanol inhibits TGF-beta-Smad-NADPH oxidase 4 pathway and inflammatory cytokines such as TNF-alpha, IL-1 beta, IL-6, and p65 NF-kappa B subunit, which cause skeletal muscle weakness. Collectively, gamma-Oryzanol attenuates muscle weakness pathway and increases oxidative capacity by increasing PPAR delta and ERR gamma activity, which contributes to enhance strength and improve oxidative capacity in muscles, consequently enhancing exercise capacity in aged mice. Particularly, gamma-Oryzanol directly binds to PPAR delta. Conclusions: These are the first findings showing that gamma-Oryzanol enhances skeletal muscle function in aged mice by regulating PPAR delta and ERR gamma activi without muscle gain.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 자연과학대학 > 식품영양학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.