Scaffold-free 3D culturing enhance pluripotency, immunomodulatory factors, and differentiation potential of Wharton's jelly-mesenchymal stem cellsopen access
- Thakur, G.; Bok, E.-Y.; Kim, S.-B.; Jo, C.-H.; Oh, S.-J.; Baek, J.-C.; Park, J.-E.; Kang, Y.-H.; Lee, S.-L.; Kumar, R.; Rho, G.-J.
- Issue Date
- Elsevier GmbH
- Definitive endoderm; Differentiation; Immunomodulation; Scaffold free 3D culture; Stemness; Wharton' s jelly-mesenchymal stem cells
- European Journal of Cell Biology, v.101, no.3
- Journal Title
- European Journal of Cell Biology
- Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) show a decline in pluripotency and differentiation with increased cell culture passages in 2D cultures. The 2D monolayer culture fails to correctly imitate the architecture and microenvironments of in-vivo cell models. Alternatively, 3D culture may improve the simulations of in-vivo cell microenvironments with wide applications in cell culture and drug discovery. In the present study, we compared various 3D culturing techniques such as 3D micro-well (3D-S), hanging drop (HD), and ultra-low attachment (ULA) plate-based spheroid culture to study their effect on morphology, viability, pluripotency, cell surface markers, immunomodulatory factors, and differentiation capabilities of Wharton's jelly-mesenchymal stem cells (WJ-MSCs). The cell morphology, viability, and senescence of 3D cultured WJ-MSCs were comparable to cells in 2D culture. The expression of pluripotency markers (OCT4, SOX2, and NANOG) was enhanced upto 2?8 fold in 3D cultured WJ-MSCs when compared to 2D culture. Moreover, the immunomodulatory factors (IDO, IL-10, LIF, ANG1, and VEGF) were significantly elevated in ULA based 3D cultured WJ-MSCs. Furthermore, significant enhancement in the differentiation potential of WJ-MSCs towards adipocyte (ADP and C/EBP-α), osteocyte (OPN and RUNX2), and definitive endodermal (SOX17, FOXA2, and CXCR4) lineages in 3D culture conditions were observed. Additionally, the osteogenic and adipogenic differentiation potential of WJ-MSCs over the time points 7 days, 14 days, and 28 days was also significantly increased in 3D culture groups. Our study demonstrates that stemness properties of WJ-MSCs were significantly enhanced in 3D cultures and ULA-based culture outperformed other methods with high pluripotency gene expression and enhanced differentiation potential. This study indicates the efficacy of 3D cultures to bridge the gap between 2D cell culture and animal models in regenerative medicine. ? 2022 The Authors
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.