Non-contact, low-cost regional greenhouse gases detection via 3D laminated graphene-based photoelectric construct
- Oh, Young Suk; Kim, Hun-Seong; Bassous, Nicole; Kim, Dong Won; Lee, Chang Kee; Joo, Sangwon; Lee, Haeyoung; Chung, Chu Yong; Kim, Yeon Hee; Jung, Sung Mi; Shin, Su Ryon; Jung, Hyun Young
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- Graphene; Greenhouse gas; Photoelectric; Detector; Low cost; Sensitivity
- CARBON, v.197, pp.246 - 252
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- Although monitoring greenhouse gases (GHG) is of crucial significance in addressing global climate change, contemporary GHG measuring equipment is expensive, bulky, and installed in only a few areas, leading to several limitations for responding in real-time. Besides, there are difficulties in measuring atmospheric constitutions in living spaces due to problems caused by the detection method that is used in measuring devices and the limits of observation incurred by spatial and operational contingencies. Here, we report a graphene-based photoelectric detector that provides low-cost and high-precision monitoring of GHGs, irrespective of the contiguity of the gas to the sensor unit. The graphene photodetection materials, laminated under high temperature and pressure conditions, were designed as three-dimensional elements in order to optimally absorb light energy passed through the GHG layers. As a result, the photoelectric detector indicated accurate responsivity to 216 ppm of carbon dioxide, 0.06 ppm of carbon monoxide, and 0.88 ppm of mixed methane and carbon dioxide gas. Of greater interest, it showed a high responsivity of 45% when 12 mu W/cm2 of incident light passed through 1.09 ppm of carbon monoxide atmosphere. Our study is at the cornerstone of building high-density GHG monitoring networks within cities and metropolitan areas.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 융합기술공과대학 > Department of Energy Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.