Growth Characteristics of Adenophora triphylla var. japonica Hara Seedlings as Affected by Growing Mediumopen access
- Lee, Hye Ri; Kim, Hyeon Min; Jeong, Hyeon Woo; Kim, Gam Gon; Na, Chae In; Oh, Myung Min; Hwang, Seung Jae
- Issue Date
- root surface area; root volume; terra-plug
- PLANTS-BASEL, v.8, no.11
- Journal Title
- Adenophora triphylla var. japonica Hara is a highly valued medicinal plant that is used to treat or prevent bronchitis, cough, cancer, and obesity. However, there has been no study on the production of Adenophora triphylla var. japonica Hara seedlings in a closed-type plant production system (CPPS). This study was conducted to examine the growth characteristics of Adenophora triphylla var. japonica Hara seedlings as affected by different growing media. The seeds were sown on a 128-cell plug tray filled with urethane sponges (US), LC grow foam (LC), rockwool (RW), or terra-plugs (TP). The seedlings were cultured for a duration of 54 days under temperature 25 +/- 1 degrees C, a photoperiod of 12/12 h (light/dark), and light intensity of 180 mu mol.m(-2).s(-1) photosynthetic photon flux density provided by RB LEDs (red:blue = 8:2) in a closed-type plant production system (CPPS). The germination rate of Adenophora triphylla var. japonica Hara was significantly highest in the TP. Also, seedling shoot growth indicators of plant height, leaf length, leaf width, number of leaves, fresh weight (FW), and dry weight (DW) of the shoot, and leaf area were markedly the greatest in the TP and the lowest in the US. The SPAD (soil-plant analysis development) value was higher in the TP and US than in the LC or RW. In addition, the seedling root growth characteristics of total root length, root surface area, root volume, and number of root tips were significantly greatest in the TP. Moreover, the maximum root diameter, FW and DW of roots were the greatest in the TP. In conclusion, the results suggest that TP are viable for the growth development of Adenophora triphylla var. japonica Hara seedlings.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 원예과학부 > Journal Articles
- 농업생명과학대학 > 농학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.