Factors associated with permanent hypothyroidism in infants with congenital hypothyroidismopen access
- Park, Eun Sil; Yoon, Ju Young
- Issue Date
- Congenital hypothyroidism; Levothyroxine; Risk factor; Prognosis
- BMC PEDIATRICS, v.19, no.1
- Journal Title
- BMC PEDIATRICS
- Background Congenital hypothyroidism (CH) is one of the most common endocrine diseases in childhood. A significant proportion of CH cases are transient, but the risk factors for permanent CH (PCH) are not yet well established. The current guidelines suggest using levothyroxine until the age of 3 years, but some studies suggest the possibility of earlier discontinuation. However, few, if any, studies have followed up on the results of early discontinuation. This study aimed to identify predictive factors of transient CH among infants with CH. We also investigated the results in patients who underwent a trial of early discontinuation. Methods We gathered data regarding infants diagnosed with CH between July 2005 and July 2015 by retrospective chart review. Those with aplastic, hypoplastic or ectopic glands on thyroid ultrasonography or scan were excluded. Among them, early discontinuation subgroup was defined as those who discontinued levothyroxine before 30 months of age. Results From the 80 infants (40 males, 40 females) enrolled in this study, 51 were preterm. Nine (11.3%) were diagnosed with PCH. Compared with transient cases, those with PCH were on higher levothyroxine dose at discontinuation (4.3 vs 2.9 mu g/kg, P < 0.001). There was no difference in the proportion of permanent cases between preterm and full-term groups. In preterm group,infants with PCH required higher levothyroxine dose at discontinuation than those with transient CH (3.8 vs 2.5 mu g/kg, P = 0.018). Levothyroxine discontinuation at a dose of 2.86 mu g/kg could suggest PCH (sensitivity, 88.9%; specificity, 71.0%). Among the 9 patients who underwent a trial of early discontinuation, 8 successfully discontinued levothyroxine. Conclusion The majority of CH patients discontinued levothyroxine successfully, including those who underwent a trial of early discontinuation. Higher levothyroxine dose at the time of discontinuation was found to be a predictive factor for PCH.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.