Changes in hematoserological profiles and leukocyte redistribution in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) under progressive hypoxiaChanges in hematoserological profiles and leukocyte redistribution in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) under progressive hypoxia
- Other Titles
- Changes in hematoserological profiles and leukocyte redistribution in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) under progressive hypoxia
- 노형진; 김보성; 김아란; 김남은; 이무근; 박찬일; 김도형
- Issue Date
- Progressive hypoxia; Hematology; Leukocyte redistribution; Rainbow trout
- 한국어병학회지, v.33, no.1, pp.23 - 34
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- In recent years, global warming is causing dramatic environmental changes and deterioration, such as hypoxia, leading to reduced survival rate and growth performance of farmed aquatic animals. Hence, understanding systemic immuno-physiological changes in fish under environmental stress might be important to maximize aquaculture production. In this study, we investigated physiological changes in rainbow trout exposed to hypoxic stress by monitoring changes in blood chemistry, leukocyte population, and expression levels of related cytokine genes. Hematological and serological factors were evaluated in blood obtained from rainbow trout sampled at a dissolved level of 4.6 mg O2 L-1 and 2.1 mg O2 L-1. Blood and head kidney tissue obtained at each sampling time point were used to determine erythrocyte size, leukocyte population, and cytokine gene expression. The level of LDH and GPT in fish under progressive hypoxia were significantly increased in plasma. Likewise, the (Granulocyte + Macrophage)/lymphocyte ratio (%) of fish exposed to hypoxia was significantly lower than that in fish in the control group. Such changes might be due to the rapid movement of lymphocytes in fish exposed to acute hypoxia. In this study, significant up-regulation in expression levels of IL-1β and IL-6 gene appeared to be involved in the redistribution of leukocytes in rainbow trout. This is the first study to demonstrate the involvement of cytokines in leukocyte trafficking in fish exposed to hypoxia. It will help us understand systemic physiological changes and mechanisms involved in teleost under hypoxic stress.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 해양과학대학 > 양식생명과학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.