Electrostabilized homogeneous dispersion of boron nitride nanotubes in wide-range of solvents achieved by surface polarity modulation through pyridine attachment
- Chang, Mi Se; Jang, Min-Sun; Yang, Sangsun; Yu, Jihun; Kim, Taehoon; Kim, Sedong; Jeong, Hyomin; Park, Chong Rae; Jeong, Jae Won
- Issue Date
- TSINGHUA UNIV PRESS
- boron nitride nanotube; one-dimensional nanomaterials; surface polarity modulation; electrostabilization; boron nitride nanotube composite
- NANO RESEARCH, v.13, no.2, pp.344 - 352
- Journal Title
- NANO RESEARCH
- Start Page
- End Page
- Boron nitride nanotubes (BNNTs) show exceptional physical properties including high mechanical strength and thermal conductivity; however, their applications have been restricted due to limited dispersibility in processing solvents. Here, a novel BNNT dispersion method with exceptional dispersibility in a wide range of solvents has been demonstrated by surface polarity modulation through short-molecule pyridine attachment. Nitrogen atoms in pyridine are selectively bonded to electron-deficient boron atoms of the BNNT surface through Lewis acid-base reaction, which changes the surface polarity of BNNTs from neutral to negative. Re-dispersing pyridine-attached BNNTs (Py-BNNTs) create a thick and stable electronic double layer (EDL), resulting in uniform dispersion of BNNTs in solvents with an exceptional solubility parameter range of 18.5-48 MPa1/2. The uniform dispersion of BNNTs is maintained even after the mixing with diverse polymers. Finally, composites incorporating uniformly-distributed BNNTs have been realized, and extraordinary property enhancements have been observed. The thermal conductivity of 20 wt.% Py-BNNT/epoxy composite has been significantly improved by 69.6% and the tensile strength of 2 wt.% Py-BNNT/PVA has been dramatically improved by 75.3%. Our work demonstrates a simple and facile route to dispersing BNNTs in diverse solvents, consequently leading to selective utilization of BNNT dispersed solvents in various application fields.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 해양과학대학 > 스마트자동화공학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.