Sensible design of open-porous spherical architectures for hybrid supercapacitors with improved high-rate capability
- Lee, Byung-Gwan; Shin, Seung-Il; Ha, Min-Woo; An, Geon-Hyoung
- Issue Date
- Hybrid supercapacitor; Spherical structure; Open-porous structure; Lithium manganese oxide; High-rate capability
- CURRENT APPLIED PHYSICS, v.20, no.3, pp.419 - 424
- Journal Title
- CURRENT APPLIED PHYSICS
- Start Page
- End Page
- Hybrid supercapacitors show high energy densities with good long-term cycling stability when used as energy sources. However, their poor rate performance as a consequence of their low ionic diffusion capability at high currents during cycling should be improved. Here, we propose using a spray-drying process to fabricate a novel structure comprising open-porous spherical lithium manganese oxide as an electrode material for hybrid supercapacitors. The resultant hybrid supercapacitor comprising full-cell systems shows a high specific capacitance (33.8 F cm(-3) at a current of 1 A) and remarkable high-rate performance (25.6 F cm(-3) at a current of 16 A). Moreover, outstanding cycling stability of 83% was attained at a current of 2 A after 5400 cycles. Our new strategy provides a useful methodology to increase the abundance of electrochemically active sites by fabricating a spherical structure using nanosized primary particles, which also leads to shorter diffusion pathways and to improved ionic electron transport because of the open-porous structure of the electrode materials.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 융합기술공과대학 > Department of Energy Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.