Catalan-like number sequences and Hausdorff moment sequences
- Choi, Hayoung; Yeh, Yeong-Nan; Yoo, Seonguk
- Issue Date
- Catalan-like number sequences; Moment sequences; Orthogonal polynomials
- DISCRETE MATHEMATICS, v.343, no.5
- Journal Title
- DISCRETE MATHEMATICS
- Many well-known Catalan-like sequences turn out to be Stieltjes moment sequences (Liang et al. (2016)). However, a Stieltjes moment sequence is in general not determinate; Liang et al. suggested a further analysis about whether these moment sequences are determinate and how to obtain the associated measures. In this paper we find necessary conditions for a Catalan-like sequence to be a Hausdorff moment sequence. As a consequence, we will see that many well-known counting coefficients, including the Catalan numbers, the Motzkin numbers, the central binomial coefficients, the central Delannoy numbers, are Hausdorff moment sequences. We can also identify the smallest interval including the support of the unique representing measure. Since Hausdorff moment sequences are determinate and a representing measure for above mentioned sequences are already known, we could almost complete the analysis raised by Liang et al. In addition, subsequences of Catalan-like number sequences are also considered; we will see a necessary and sufficient condition for subsequences of Stieltjes Catalan-like number sequences to be Stieltjes Catalan-like number sequences. We will also study a representing measure for a linear combination of consecutive terms in Catalan-like number sequences. (C) 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 사범대학 > 수학교육과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.