Morphological and Molecular Characterization of Toxocara apodemi (Nematoda: Ascarididae) from Striped Field Mice, Apodemus agrarius, in Koreaopen access
- Kim, Hyeon Cheol; Hong, Eui Ju; Ryu, Si Yun; Park, Jinho; Cho, Jeong Gon; Yu, Do Hyeon; Chae, Joon Seok; Choi, Kyoung Seong; Park, Bae Keun
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC PARASITOLOGY, SEOUL NATL UNIV COLL MEDI
- Apodemus agrarius; Toxocara apodemi; molecular characterization; scanning electron microscopy; Korea
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF PARASITOLOGY, v.58, no.4, pp.403 - 411
- Journal Title
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF PARASITOLOGY
- Start Page
- End Page
- Adult ascarid worms from the field mice, Apodemus agrarius, were observed with a light and scanning electron microscope, and molecularly analized with 18S rRNA gene. In the scanning electron microscope, 3 prominent labia were present in the anterior end of male and female worms, but the interlabia and gubernaculum were absent. Scanning electron micrographs showed cervical alae as vestigial organs that looked like a slightly uplifted superficial sewing stitch. Total 6 pairs of post-cloacal papillae were observed on the tail of the male worms. The tail of female worms was blunt and conical shape with a spine-like structure, mucron. The eggs were sub-globular, coated with the albuminous layer and 73 by 82 mu m in average size. The superficial pits of T. apodemi egg (mean 8.6x 6.7 mu m) are obviously bigger than those of Toxocara spp. The partial sequence of 18S rRNA showed the sequence homology of Toxocara canis (99.6%), Toxocara cati (99.4%), Toxascaris leonine (99.4%), and Toxocara vitulorum (99.2%). Conclusively, it was confirmed that ascarid nematodes, Toxocara apodemi, recovered from striped field mice in Korea are taxonomically conspecific relationship with genus Toxocara and genetic divergence from other Toxocara species.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 수의과대학 > Department of Veterinary Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.