The Root ofPolygonum multiflorumThunb. Alleviates Non-Alcoholic Steatosis and Insulin Resistance in High Fat Diet-Fed Miceopen access
- Jung, Soonwoong; Son, Hyeonwi; Hwang, Chung Eun; Cho, Kye Man; Park, Sang Won; Kim, Hwajin; Kim, Hyun Joon
- Issue Date
- high-fat diet; insulin resistance; lipid; non-alcoholic steatosis; Polygonum multiflorum
- NUTRIENTS, v.12, no.8
- Journal Title
- Non-alcoholic steatosis and insulin resistance are critical health problems and cause metabolic complications worldwide. In this study, we investigated the molecular mechanism ofPolygonum multiflorumThunb. (PM) against hepatic lipid accumulation and insulin resistance by using in vitro and in vivo models. PM extract significantly attenuated the accumulation of lipid droplets and hepatic triglyceride in free fatty acid (FFA)-exposed HepG2 cells. PM extract increased the AMPK and ACC phosphorylation and GLUT4 expression, whose levels were downregulated in FFA-exposed cells. PM extract also decreased precursor and mature forms of SREBP-1 in FFA-exposed cells. C57BL/6 mice fed with normal diet (ND) or high-fat diet (HFD) were administered PM extract (100 mg/kg) or vehicle orally for 16 weeks. PM extract attenuated the increases of the epididymal and perirenal fats on HFD feeding. PM extract markedly reduced hepatic lipid accumulation and fasting glucose levels, and improved glucose and insulin sensitivity in HFD-fed mice. HFD-fed mice decreased the AMPK and ACC phosphorylation and GLUT4 expression, and increased precursor and mature forms of SREBP-1; these changes were significantly restored by PM extract. In conclusion, PM extract alleviates non-alcoholic steatosis and insulin resistance through modulating the expression of proteins on lipid metabolism and glucose transport in the liver.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
- 농업생명과학대학 > 식품공학부 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.