Anti-Photoaging and Anti-Melanogenesis Effects of Fucoidan Isolated fromHizikia fusiformeand Its Underlying Mechanismsopen access
- Wang, Lei; Oh, Jae-Young; Kim, Young-Sang; Lee, Hyo-Geun; Lee, Jung-Suck; Jeon, You-Jin
- Issue Date
- fucoidan; skin health; anti-melanogenesis effect; anti-photoaging effect
- MARINE DRUGS, v.18, no.8
- Journal Title
- MARINE DRUGS
- Previous studies suggested that fucoidan with a molecular weight of 102.67 kDa, isolated fromHizikia fusiforme, possesses strong antioxidant activity. To explore the cosmeceutical potential of fucoidan, its anti-photoaging and anti-melanogenesis effects were evaluated in the present study. The anti-photoaging effect was investigated in ultraviolet (UV) B-irradiated human keratinocytes (HaCaT cells), where fucoidan effectively reduced the intracellular reactive oxygen species level and improved the viability of the UVB-irradiated cells without any cytotoxic effects. Moreover, fucoidan significantly decreased UVB-induced apoptosis in HaCaT cells by regulating the protein expression of Bax, Bcl-xL, PARP, and Caspase-3 in HaCaT cells in a concentration-dependent manner. The anti-melanogenesis effect of fucoidan was evaluated in B16F10 melanoma cells that had been stimulated with alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (alpha-MSH), and fucoidan treatment remarkably inhibited melanin synthesis in alpha-MSH-stimulated B16F10 cells. Further studies indicated that fucoidan significantly suppressed the expression of tyrosinase and tyrosinase-related protein-1 and -2 (TRP-1 and-2) in B16F10 cells by down-regulating microphthalmia-associated transcription factor (MITF) through regulation of the ERK-MAPK (extracellular signal regulated kinase-mitogen activated protein kinase) pathway. Taken together, these results suggest that fucoidan isolated fromH. fusiformepossesses strong anti-photoaging and anti-melanogenesis activities and can be used as an ingredient in the pharmaceutical and cosmeceutical industries.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 해양과학대학 > Seafood science & Technology > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.