Etamycin as a NovelMycobacterium abscessusInhibitoropen access
- Hanh, Bui Thi Bich; Kim, Tae Ho; Park, June-Woo; Lee, Da-Gyum; Kim, Jae-Sung; Du, Young Eun; Yang, Chul-Su; Oh, Dong-Chan; Jang, Jichan
- Issue Date
- Mycobacterium abscessus; drug resistance; novel drug discovery
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES, v.21, no.18
- Journal Title
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SCIENCES
- The increase in drug-resistantMycobacterium abscessus, which has become resistant to existing standard-of-care agents, is a major concern, and new antibacterial agents are strongly needed. In this study, we introduced etamycin that showed an excellent activity againstM. abscessus. We found that etamycin significantly inhibited the growth ofM. abscessuswild-type strain, three subspecies, and clinical isolates in vitro and inhibited the growth ofM. abscessusthat resides in macrophages without cytotoxicity. Furthermore, the in vivo efficacy of etamycin in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) infection model was greater than that of clarithromycin, which is recommended as the core agent for treatingM. abscessusinfections. Thus, we concluded that etamycin is a potential anti-M. abscessuscandidate for further development as a clinical drug candidate.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 자연과학대학 > Division of Life Sciences > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.