Platycodon grandiflorumroots: A comprehensive study on odor/aroma and chemical properties during roasting
- Lee, Jookyeong; Cho, Jin-Ju; Hong, Seong Jun; Kim, Da-Som; Boo, Chang Guk; Shin, Eui-Cheol
- Issue Date
- electronic tongue; Platycodon grandiflorumroots; roasting; sensory properties; SPME; volatile compounds
- JOURNAL OF FOOD BIOCHEMISTRY, v.44, no.9
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF FOOD BIOCHEMISTRY
- Platycodonis a ubiquitous plant widely grown in Asia. This study investigated changes in odor/aroma associated sensory attributes and chemical properties inPlatycodon grandiflorumroots upon roasting. Amino acid analysis, electronic tongue analysis, chemical property analysis, volatile compound analysis, GC-olfactometry-assisted sensory attributes, and electronic nose analysis were performed. In results, amino acid profiles showed diverse patterns. Electronic tongue analysis somewhat corresponded to the free amino acid profiles. Total phenolic content, antioxidant capacity, and browning intensity significantly increased up to 4 min and slightly decreased afterward. Various pyrazines relevant to roasted odor such as 3-ethyl-2, 5-dimethyl-pyrazine, and 2, 6-dimethyl-pyrazine were generated by roasting. In electronic nose analysis, positive odor parameter significantly increased and potential unpleasant odorants significantly decreased over time. This is believed to be the first study demonstrating overall insight on odor/aroma and chemical characteristics and utilizing objective sensory measures on roastedPlatycodon grandiflorumroots for food applications. Practical applications This study will be utilized (a) to researchers and food companies who are interested in medicinal foods (b) to individuals and food industry that search for changes in sensory characteristics and chemical changes of foods induced by roasting, and (c) to farmers and crop producers who look for utilization and applications ofPlatycodon grandiflorumroots as food sources and ingredients.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 식품공학부 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.