Overall Prevalence and Distribution of Knockdown Resistance (kdr) Mutations in Aedes aegypti from Mandalay Region, Myanmaropen access
- Naw, Haung; Su, Mya Nilar Chaw; Vo, Tuan Cuong; Le, Huong Giang; Kang, Jung-Mi; Jun, Hojong; Mya, Yi Yi; Myint, Moe Kyaw; Lee, Jinyoung; Sohn, Woon-Mok; Kim, Tong-Soo; Na, Byoung-Kuk
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC PARASITOLOGY, SEOUL NATL UNIV COLL MEDI
- Aedes aegypti; knockdown resistance; voltage-gated sodium channel; Myanmar
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF PARASITOLOGY, v.58, no.6, pp.709 - 714
- Journal Title
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF PARASITOLOGY
- Start Page
- End Page
- Knockdown resistance (kdr) mutations in the voltage-gated sodium channel (VGSC) of mosquitoes confer resistance to insecticides. Although insecticide resistance has been suspected to be widespread in the natural population of Aedes aegypti in Myanmar, only limited information is currently available. The overall prevalence and distribution of kdr mutations was analyzed in Ae. aegypti from Mandalay areas, Myanmar. Sequence analysis of the VGSC in Ae. aegypti from Myanmar revealed amino acid mutations at 13 and 11 positions in domains II and III of VGSC, respectively. High frequencies of S989P (68.6%), V1016G (73.5%), and F1534C (40.1%) were found in domains II and III. T1520I was also found, but the frequency was low (8.1%). The frequency of S989P/V1016G was high (55.0%), and the frequencies of V1016G/F1534C and S989P/V1016G/F1534C were also high at 30.1% and 23.5%, respectively. Novel mutations in domain II (L963Q, M976I, V977A, M994T, L995F, V996M/A, D998N, V999A, N1013D, and F1020S) and domain III (K1514R, Y1523H, V1529A, F1534L, F1537S, V1546A, F1551S, G1581D, and K1584R) were also identified. These results collectively suggest that high frequencies of kdr mutations were identified in Myanmar Ae. aegypti, indicating a high level of insecticide resistance.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.