Wide-open conformation of UDP-MurNc-tripeptide ligase revealed by the substrate-free structure of MurE from Acinetobacter baumannii
- Jung, Kyoung Ho; Kim, Yeon-Gil; Kim, Chang Min; Ha, Hyun Ji; Lee, Chang Sup; Lee, Jun Hyuck; Park, Hyun Ho
- Issue Date
- Acinetobacter& #160; baumannii; ATP& #8208; dependent ligase; cell wall peptidoglycan biosynthesis; crystal structure; MurE
- FEBS LETTERS, v.595, no.2, pp.275 - 283
- Journal Title
- FEBS LETTERS
- Start Page
- End Page
- MurE ligase catalyzes the attachment of meso-diaminopimelic acid to the UDP-MurNAc-(l)-Ala-(d)-Glu using ATP and producing UDP-MurNAc-(l)-Ala-(d)-Glu-meso-A(2)pm during bacterial cell wall biosynthesis. Owing to the critical role of this enzyme, MurE is considered an attractive target for antibacterial drugs. Despite extensive studies on MurE ligase, the structural dynamics of its conformational changes are still elusive. In this study, we present the substrate-free structure of MurE from Acinetobacter baumannii, which is an antibiotic-resistant superbacterium that has threatened global public health. The structure revealed that MurE has a wide-open conformation and undergoes wide-open, intermediately closed, and fully closed dynamic conformational transition. Unveiling structural dynamics of MurE will help to understand the working mechanism of this ligase and to design next-generation antibiotics targeting MurE.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 약학대학 > 약학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.