Model Checking Resiliency and Sustainability of In-Vehicle Network for Real-Time Authenticityopen access
- Kim, Jin Hyun; Jo, Hyo Jin; Lee, Insup
- Issue Date
- controller area network bus; authentication; authenticity; resiliency; sustainability; formal verification; model checking; in-vehicle network
- APPLIED SCIENCES-BASEL, v.11, no.3
- Journal Title
- APPLIED SCIENCES-BASEL
- Featured Application MAuth-CAN is a new CAN authentication mechanism, and the proposed CAN model and verification techniques are useful to analyze timing properties of CAN applications. The Controller Area Network (CAN) is the most common network system in automotive systems. However, the standardized design of a CAN protocol does not consider security issues, so it is vulnerable to various security attacks from internal and external electronic devices. Recently, in-vehicle network is often connected to external network systems, including the Internet, and can result in an unwarranted third-party application becoming an attack point. Message Authentication CAN (MAuth-CAN) is a new centralized authentication for CAN system, where two dual-CAN controllers are utilized to process message authentication. MAuth-CAN is designed to provide an authentication mechanism as well as provide resilience to a message flooding attack and sustainably protect against a bus-off attack. This paper presents formal techniques to guarantee critical timing properties of MAuth-CAN, based on model checking, which can be also used for safety certificates of vehicle components, such as ISO 26262. Using model checking, we prove sufficient conditions that MAuth-CAN is resilient and sustainable against message flooding and bus-off attacks and provide two formal models of MAuth-CAN in timed automata that are applicable for formal analysis of other applications running on CAN bus. In addition, we discuss that the results of model checking of those properties are consistent with the experiment results of MAuth-CAN implementation.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 해양과학대학 > 지능형통신공학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.