Nonlinear flexibility-based beam element on Winkler-Pasternak foundation
- Sae-Long, Worathep; Limkatanyu, Suchart; Hansapinyo, Chayanon; Prachasaree, Woraphot; Rungamornrat, Jaroon; Kwon, Minho
- Issue Date
- flexibility-based formulation; beam element; Winkler-Pasternak foundation; soil-structure interaction; virtual force principle; finite element; nonlinear analysis
- GEOMECHANICS AND ENGINEERING, v.24, no.4, pp.371 - 388
- Journal Title
- GEOMECHANICS AND ENGINEERING
- Start Page
- End Page
- A novel flexibility-based beam-foundation model for inelastic analyses of beams resting on foundation is presented in this paper. To model the deformability of supporting foundation media, the Winkler-Pasternak foundation model is adopted. Following the derivation of basic equations of the problem (strong form), the flexibility-based finite beam-foundation element (weak form) is formulated within the framework of the matrix virtual force principle. Through equilibrated force shape functions, the internal force fields are related to the element force degrees of freedom. Tonti's diagrams are adopted to present both strong and weak forms of the problem. Three numerical simulations are employed to assess validity and to show effectiveness of the proposed flexibility-based beam-foundation model. The first two simulations focus on elastic beam-foundation systems while the last simulation emphasizes on an inelastic beam-foundation system. The influences of the adopted foundation model to represent the underlying foundation medium are also discussed.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공과대학 > Department of Civil Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.