Sequence-based clustering applied to long-term credit risk assessment
- Le, Richard; Ku, Hyejin; Jun, Doobae
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- Credit rating; Clustering; Sequence matrix; Transition matrix; Default behaviour
- EXPERT SYSTEMS WITH APPLICATIONS, v.165
- Journal Title
- EXPERT SYSTEMS WITH APPLICATIONS
- This paper studies the effectiveness of estimating credit rating transition matrices using sequence-based clustering on historical credit rating sequences. The data set used in this study consisted of monthly credit rating sequences from Korean companies from 1986 to 2018. The credit rating sequences were converted to sequence matrices and was clustered using PCA-guided K-means. Representative transition matrices of the resulting clusters were then generated to be used in the classification process. The proposed clustering model is evaluated under the 3 different long-term classification scenarios; 7 class credit rating prediction, credit rating transition direction (upgrade, stay, or downgrade) prediction, and default behaviour prediction. All three classification scenarios produced promising results suggesting that the representative transition matrix of the.. clusters better describes future credit rating behaviour than a single transition matrix.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 자연과학대학 > 수학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.