Phytochemical analysis of aerial part of Ikonnikovia kaufmanniana and their protection of DNA damage
- Baiseitova, Aizhamal; Jenis, Janar; Kim, Jeong Yoon; Li, Zuo Peng; Park, Ki Hun
- Issue Date
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- Ikonnikovia kaufmanniana; antioxidant activity; phytochemical composition; DNA damage protection
- NATURAL PRODUCT RESEARCH, v.35, no.5, pp.880 - 883
- Journal Title
- NATURAL PRODUCT RESEARCH
- Start Page
- End Page
- Ikonnikovia kaufmanniana is an endemic plant of Kazakhstan of which phytochemical analysis has not been reported. The present study found out that this species enriched with antioxidant chemicals. Isolation and structural identification processes reveal twelve phenolic compounds (1-12) having dihydroflavanonol, flavonol, isoflavone and flavanol skeletons. The annotation of individual components in the extract was carried out by LC-ESI-MS/MS to represent a chemotaxonomic marker of the target plant. The antioxidant activities of all compounds were screened using three different radical sources (DPPH, ORAC, and hydroxyl radicals). Most compounds (1-11) had significant antioxidant activity against three radical sources, and their efficacies were found to differ by their functionality and skeleton. The potential of the isolated compounds in preventing oxidative damage of DNA was evaluated with pBR322 plasmid DNA. Compounds (1, 5, 7, and 8) had protective effects on DNA damaged with 80% efficacy at 60 mu M concentration.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- ETC > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.