Epstein-Barr virus-positive diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with human immunodeficiency virus mimicking complicated frontal sinusitis: A case reportopen access
- Yoon, Seokho; Ryu, Kyeong Hwa; Baek, Hye Jin; An, Hyo Jung; Joo, Yeon-Hee
- Issue Date
- BAISHIDENG PUBLISHING GROUP INC
- Lymphoma; Paranasal sinus; Human immunodeficiency virus; Epstein-Barr virus; Computed tomography; Case report
- WORLD JOURNAL OF CLINICAL CASES, v.9, no.7, pp.1654 - 1660
- Journal Title
- WORLD JOURNAL OF CLINICAL CASES
- Start Page
- End Page
- BACKGROUND Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the frontal sinus is extremely rare. In addition, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) has been reported to play a role in the development of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-related malignant lymphomas. To the best of our knowledge, there is no report for the HIV-associated, EBV-positive primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) in the frontal sinus. CASE SUMMARY We present a unique case of HIV-associated, EBV-positive DLBCL in the frontal sinus in a 46-year-old man. Computed tomography of paranasal sinuses revealed dense opacification of the right frontal sinus with combined soft tissue swelling. Based on the clinical and radiological findings, the initial diagnosis was complicated frontal sinusitis, presenting Pott's puffy tumor. Unexpectedly, HIV testing was positive on preoperative laboratory test, and the frontal sinus lesion was confirmed as EBV-positive DLBCL on biopsy. CONCLUSION Through this article, we suggest that EBV-positive DLBCL should be considered as possible diagnosis for patients with nonspecific space-occupying lesion of the paranasal sinuses. We also highlight an importance of clinical suspicion in diagnosing HIV infection because HIV serology is not routinely tested in patients with paranasal sinus problem.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.