Polybenzimidazole composite membranes containing imidazole functionalized graphene oxide showing high proton conductivity and improved physicochemical properties
- Kim, Junghwan; Kim, Kihyun; Ko, Taeyun; Han, Jusung; Lee, Jong-Chan
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- Polymer composite; Proton exchange membrane; Polybenzimidazole; Graphene oxide; HT-PEMFC
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, v.46, no.22, pp.12254 - 12262
- Journal Title
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY
- Start Page
- End Page
- Polymer composite membranes are fabricated using poly[2,2'-(m-phenylene)-5,5'-bibenzimidazole] (PBI) as a polymer matrix and imidazole functionalized graphene oxide (ImGO) as a filler material for high temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell applications. ImGO is prepared by the reaction of o-phenylenediamine with graphene oxide (GO). The compatibility of ImGO with PBI matrix is found to be better than that of GO, and as a result PBI composite membrane having ImGO exhibits improved physicochemical properties and larger proton conductivity compared with pure PBI and PBI composite membrane having GO. For example, PBI composite membrane having 0.5 wt% of ImGO shows enhanced tensile strength (219.2 MPa) with minimal decrease of elongation at break value (28.8%) compared with PBI composite membrane having 0.5 wt% of GO (215.5 MPa, 15.4%) and pure PBI membrane without any filler (181.0 MPa, 34.8%). The proton conductivity of this membrane, at 150 degrees C under anhydrous condition, is 77.52 mS cm(-1). (C) 2020 Hydrogen Energy Publications LLC. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공학계열 > Dept.of Materials Engineering and Convergence Technology > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.