Water Nitrate Remote Monitoring System with Self-Diagnostic Function for Ion-Selective Electrodesopen access
- Jung, Dae-Hyun; Kim, Hak-Jin; Kim, Joon Yong; Park, Soo Hyun; Cho, Woo Jae
- Issue Date
- online monitoring; ion-selective electrode; self-diagnostic method; MQTT
- SENSORS, v.21, no.8
- Journal Title
- The detection of nitrate pollutants is a widely used strategy for protecting water sources. Although ion-selective electrodes (ISEs) have been considered for the determination of ion concentrations in water, the accuracy of ISE technology decreases owing to the signal drift and decreasing sensitivity over time. The objectives of the present study were: (1) to develop an online water monitoring system mainly consisting of an Arduino board-based Internet-of-Things (IoT) device and nitrate ISEs; and (2) to propose a self-diagnostic function for monitoring and reporting the condition of the ISEs. The developed system communicates with the cloud server by using the message queuing telemetry transport (MQTT) protocol and provides monitoring information through the developed cloud-based webpage. In addition, the online monitoring system provides information on the electrode status, which is determined based on a self-diagnostic index (SDI, with a range of 0-100) of the electrode drift and sensitivity. The diagnostic method for monitoring and reporting the electrode status was validated in a one-month-long laboratory test followed by a field test in a stream near an agricultural facility. Moreover, a self-diagnostic index (SDI) was applied in the final field experiments with an accuracy of 0.77.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 생물산업기계공학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.