Phase stability of the amorphous phase and non-equilibrium phase in a beta Ti-Zr-based shape memory alloy
- Li, Shuanglei; Choi, Mi-Seon; Nam, Tae-Hyun
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- Ti-Zr-Nb-Sn alloy; Metastable phases; Shape memory alloys (SMA); Hydrogen absorption; High-resolution electron microscopy (HREM)
- SCRIPTA MATERIALIA, v.195
- Journal Title
- SCRIPTA MATERIALIA
- This work presents the amorphization of metastable beta phase and the phase stability of the amorphous phase and non-equilibrium phase in a Ti-Zr-Nb-Sn shape memory alloy (SMA). The amorphous phases with lenticular shape uniformly embedded in beta matrix are observed in the twin-jet-electropolished thin foil specimen for transmission electron microscope (TEM) observations. Meanwhile, a co-existence of non-equilibrium athermal omega phase and nanodomain phases are found to be formed in the beta matrix. These non-equilibrium phases could favorably compete with the amorphous phase formation and render the amorphous phases are not formed, leading to that the amorphous phase is not observed in the bulk specimens for X-ray diffraction (XRD) and electron back-scattered diffraction (EBSD) and also TEM specimen prepared by a focused ion beam (FIB). The formation of the amorphous phase in the twin-jet-electropolished TEM specimen is thought to be due to the hydrogen-related artifacts introduced during twin-jet electropolishing. (C) 2021 Acta Materialia Inc. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공학계열 > Dept.of Materials Engineering and Convergence Technology > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.