Energy retrofit of PCM-applied apartment buildings considering building orientation and height
- Park, Ji Hun; Berardi, Umberto; Chang, Seong Jin; Wi, Seunghwan; Kang, Yujin; Kim, Sumin
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- Apartment; Phase change material; Retrofit system; Building orientation; Building energy performance
- ENERGY, v.222
- Journal Title
- This study analyzed the building energy performance of apartment buildings using retrofit systems with phase change materials (PCMs). The apartment type, building orientation, and height are considered to evaluate the implementation of an innovative PCM system. The building models selected were a flat-type apartment and tower-type apartment. According to the results, building orientation, height floor, and climate factors have a complex correlation with each other. Depending on the solar characteristics, solar altitude, solar time, wind direction, and wind speed, the suitable Building orientation and height for energy reduction of buildings vary. Such parameters also affect to the suitable PCM application for energy savings. As a result, PCMs of 20 degrees C and 26 degrees C showed to be suitable for the flat-type apartments with a southward orientation a westward orientation, respectively. Tower-type apartment with eastward and southward orientation showed the highest energy saving with PCM of 24 degrees C; the units with westward and northward orientation showed the highest energy reduction at 23 degrees C. Since the PCM efficiency for the energy savings are different depending on building orientations, heights, and climate factors, such variables are necessary to consider for the PCM application to the apartment building. (C) 2021 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 건설환경공과대학 > 인테리어재료공학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.