Detailed Information

Cited 1 time in webofscience Cited 4 time in scopus
Metadata Downloads

Prevalence and Clinical Implications of Incidentally Detected Parotid Lesions as Blind Spot on Brain MRI: A Single-Center Experienceopen access

Authors
Nam, In-ChulBaek, Hye-JinRyu, Kyeong-HwaMoon, Jin-IlCho, EunAn, Hyo-JungYoon, SeokhoBaik, Jiyeon
Issue Date
Aug-2021
Publisher
MDPI
Keywords
incidental parotid lesions; parotid gland; parotid neoplasm; brain; magnetic resonance imaging
Citation
MEDICINA-LITHUANIA, v.57, no.8
Indexed
SCIE
SCOPUS
Journal Title
MEDICINA-LITHUANIA
Volume
57
Number
8
URI
https://scholarworks.bwise.kr/gnu/handle/sw.gnu/3407
DOI
10.3390/medicina57080836
ISSN
1010-660X
Abstract
Background and objective: This study was conducted to assess the prevalence and clinical implications of parotid lesions detected incidentally during brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) examination. Materials and Methods: Between February 2016 and February 2021, we identified 86 lesions in the brain MRI reports of 84 patients that contained the words "parotid gland" or "PG". Of these, we finally included 49 lesions involving 45 patients following histopathological confirmation. Results: Based on the laboratory, radiological or histopathological findings, the prevalence of incidental parotid lesions was low (1.2%). Among the 45 study patients, 41 (91.1%) had unilateral lesions, and the majority of the lesions were located in the superficial lobe (40/49, 81.6%). The mean size of the parotid lesions was 1.3 cm +/- 0.4 cm (range, 0.5 cm-2.8 cm). Of these, 46 parotid lesions (93.9%) were benign, whereas the remaining three lesions were malignant (6.1%). Conclusions: Despite the low prevalence and incidence of malignancy associated with incidental parotid lesions detected on brain MRI, the clinical implications are potentially significant. Therefore, clinical awareness and appropriate imaging work-up of these lesions are important for accurate diagnosis and timely management.
Files in This Item
There are no files associated with this item.
Appears in
Collections
College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles

qrcode

Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Related Researcher

Researcher Baek, Hye Jin photo

Baek, Hye Jin
의과대학 (의학과)
Read more

Altmetrics

Total Views & Downloads

BROWSE