Development of novel gene carrier using modified nano hydroxyapatite derived from equine bone for osteogenic differentiation of dental pulp stem cellsopen access
- Lee, Myung Chul; Seonwoo, Hoon; Jang, Kyoung Je; Pandey, Shambhavi; Lim, Jaewoon; Park, Sangbae; Kim, Jae Eun; Choung, Yun-Hoon; Garg, Pankaj; Chung, Jong Hoon
- Issue Date
- KEAI PUBLISHING LTD
- Nanocomposites; Biomedical applications; Hydroxyapatite; Polyethyleneimine; Gene carrier; Osteogenic differentiation
- BIOACTIVE MATERIALS, v.6, no.9, pp.2742 - 2751
- Journal Title
- BIOACTIVE MATERIALS
- Start Page
- End Page
- Hydroxyapatite (HA) is a representative substance that induces bone regeneration. Our research team extracted nanohydroxyapatite (EH) from natural resources, especially equine bones, and developed it as a molecular biological tool. Polyethylenimine (PEI) was used to coat the EH to develop a gene carrier. To verify that PEI is well coated in the EH, we first observed the morphology and dispersity of PEI-coated EH (pEH) by electron microscopy. The pEH particles were well distributed, while only the EH particles were not distributed and aggregated. Then, the existence of nitrogen elements of PEI on the surface of the pEH was confirmed by EDS, calcium concentration measurement and fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR). Additionally, the pEH was confirmed to have a more positive charge than the 25 kD PEI by comparing the zeta potentials. As a result of pGL3 transfection, pEH was better able to transport genes to cells than 25 kD PEI. After verification as a gene carrier for pEH, we induced osteogenic differentiation of DPSCs by loading the BMP-2 gene in pEH (BMP-2/pEH) and delivering it to the cells. As a result, it was confirmed that osteogenic differentiation was promoted by showing that the expression of osteopontin (OPN), osteocalcin (OCN), and runt-related transcription factor 2 (RUNX2) was significantly increased in the group treated with BMP-2/pEH. In conclusion, we have not only developed a novel nonviral gene carrier that is better performing and less toxic than 25 kD PEI by modifying natural HA (the agricultural byproduct) but also proved that bone differentiation can be effectively promoted by delivering BMP-2 with pEH to stem cells.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 생물산업기계공학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.