Drone-Assisted Image Processing Scheme using Frame-Based Location Identification for Crack and Energy Loss Detection in Building Envelopesopen access
- Oh, Sukjoon; Ham, Suyeon; Lee, Seongjin
- Issue Date
- drones; frame-based location identification; contour detection; crack inspection; building thermal leakage detection; energy audit
- ENERGIES, v.14, no.19
- Journal Title
- This paper presents improved methods to detect cracks and thermal leakage in building envelopes using unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) (i.e., drones) with video camcorders and/or infrared cameras. Three widely used contour detectors of Sobel, Laplacian, and Canny algorithms were compared to find a better solution with low computational overhead. Furthermore, a scheme using frame-based location identification was developed to effectively utilize the existing approach by finding the current location of the drone-assisted image frame. The results showed a simplified drone-assisted scheme along with automation, higher accuracy, and better speed while using lower battery energy. Furthermore, this paper found that the cost-effective drone with the attached equipment generated accurate results without using an expensive drone. The new scheme of this paper will contribute to automated anomaly detection, energy auditing, and commissioning for sustainably built environments.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공과대학 > Department of Aerospace and Software Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.