The serial connection of two extracorporeal membrane oxygenators for patient with refractory hypoxemia
- Kang, Dong Hoon; Kim, Jong Woo; Kim, Sung Hwan; Moon, Seong Ho; Yang, Jun Ho; Jung, Jae Jun; Cha, Ho Jeong; Choi, Jun Young; Lee, Chung Eun; Heo, Won; Lim, Sung Dae; Byun, Joung Hun
- Issue Date
- Acute respiratory distress; Veno-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation; Hypoxemia
- HEART & LUNG, v.50, no.6, pp.853 - 856
- Journal Title
- HEART & LUNG
- Start Page
- End Page
- A 34-year-old man developed severe hypoxemia and hypercapnia due to acute respiratory distress during ventilator care after surgery with acute intracranial hemorrhage. Severe hypoxemia had not been corrected even with maximum extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) flow and full ventilator settings. We applied a novel technique for the serial connection of two veno-venous ECMO circuits for optimal oxygen delivery and CO2 removal and could wean VV ECMO. The use of serial connection of two VV ECMO circuits may be considered worthwhile when severe hypoxemia or hypercapnia are not improved and the use of protective ventilators is not permitted. (C) 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.