Optimal Shape Finding of Arch Structures
- Lee, S.-J.
- Issue Date
- Architectural Institute of Korea
- Arch Structure; Finite Element Method; NURBS; Shape Finding Method; Visual Programming
- Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, v.38, no.5, pp.223 - 233
- Journal Title
- Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea
- Start Page
- End Page
- "This study proposes a shape finding method for arch structure. It aims to provide a general procedure for finding the optimal shape of arch structures using the optimization technique. All the process is utilized by using the visual programming technique. The NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-spline) definition is introduced to represent the geometry of the arch structure. The strain energy of the arch structure is evaluated by using the plug-in Karamba3D in Grasshopper environment. The shape optimization with the strain energy to be minimized and height constraint is then performed by using the plug-in NM-opti. Numerical examples are carried out to verify the capability of the present shape finding method and to find the optimum shape of the arch in various situations. From numerical examples, the present shape finding method can effectively produce a new optimum shape of the arch regardless of natural and essential boundary conditions. ? 2022 Architectural Institute of Korea.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공과대학 > School of Architectural Engineering > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.