Fabrication of Eco-friendly Time Indicator Using Cellulose-Based Materialsopen access
- Jo, Hae Min; Lee, Yeon Hui; Lee, Ji Young
- Issue Date
- NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIV DEPT WOOD & PAPER SCI
- Intelligent packaging; Time indicator (TI); Cellulose-based material; Paper; Cellulose nanofiber; Biowax
- BIORESOURCES, v.17, no.1, pp.1120 - 1135
- Journal Title
- Start Page
- End Page
- An eco-friendly time indicator (TI) was developed using cellulose-based materials. The TI comprises a dye, copy paper, nanofibrillated cellulose (NFC) film, and filter papers coated with NFC slurry and/or paraffin-free biowax. A suitable dye and its conditions were determined by observing the dye solutions and the migration pattern at the different concentrations. Commercial filter papers were prepared, and the dye migration rate, depending on physical properties, was evaluated. NFC was coated to control the dye migration rate of filter paper. In addition, biowax was used to impart hydrophobicity to filter papers used for supporting NFC films, storing the dye, and allowing the migration of dye. Finally, a TI was fabricated using those components. Methylene blue was selected as a dye for the TI due to its deep color and high solubility. The results showed that the key property of filter paper affecting the dye migration rate was the pore size. The migration rate could be reduced when NFC was coated on both sides of the filter paper. Since biowax modified the hydrophobicity of filter paper surface, it was used to make the NFC film-supporting paper, location for dye storage, and bottom-layer. In conclusion, a multilayered TI could be assembled using cellulose-based materials.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > Department of Environmental Materials Science > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.