Effect of Cu on the Microstructure of Al-8Zn-2.5Mg-xCu Alloys Fabricated by Twin roll castingopen access
- Kim, Dong-Guk; Jo, Yong Hee; Lee, Yun-Soo; Kim, Yong-You; Kim, Hyoung-Wook; Kim, Jung-Ki
- Issue Date
- KOREAN INST METALS MATERIALS
- Al-Zn-Mg-Cu; twin roll casting; Cu addition; microstructure; mechanical properties
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF METALS AND MATERIALS, v.60, no.4, pp.329 - 339
- Journal Title
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF METALS AND MATERIALS
- Start Page
- End Page
- The effect of Cu content on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-8.0Zn-2.5Mg-xCu (x: 0, 1, 2, 3) aluminum alloys manufactured by the twin-roll casting process was investigated. The Al-8.0Zn-2.5Mg-xCu alloy showed an increase in surface defects with increasing Cu content. This is because the amount of residual liquid in the final solidification region increased from 9.6 wt.% to 18.3 wt.% as the Cu content increased from 0Cu to 3 Cu alloy. For the 3Cu alloy, as the amount of residual liquid in the final solidification region exceeded the critical point, a large number of surface defects and internal shrinkage defect were observed. The main secondary phases of the four alloys were the T(Mg-32(Al, Zn)(49)) and eta(MgZn2) phases, and their fraction increased with Cu content. These secondary phases mainly existed in the center segregation band, and a fine eta(MgZn2) phase was additionally observed. In terms of mechanical properties, as the Cu content increased, the hardness of the center matrix, secondary phase, and overall hardness increased respectively. Although the yield strength increased, the tensile strength and elongation decreased because the center segregation band was widened from 684 mu m to 790 mu m with increasing Cu content.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공학계열 > Dept.of Materials Engineering and Convergence Technology > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.