Design of Miniaturized Incident Angle-Insensitive 2.45 GHz RF-Based Energy Harvesting System for IoT Applications
- Park, Jeong-Su; Choi, Yu-Seong; Lee, Wang-Sang
- Issue Date
- IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC
- Angle insensitive; dual-polarized; miniaturized; radio frequency (RF)-based energy harvesting system; rectifier circuit
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ANTENNAS AND PROPAGATION, v.70, no.5, pp.3781 - 3788
- Journal Title
- IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ANTENNAS AND PROPAGATION
- Start Page
- End Page
- Using a license-free industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) frequency hand as 2.45 GHz, a miniaturized incident angle-insensitive radio frequency (RF) energy harvester design for the Internet-of-Things (IoT) applications is proposed. For incident angle insensitivity of ambient RF energy and a low-profile compact design, the proposed harvester is used to a two-layer printed circuit board (PCB) substrate, which consists of orthogonally deployed antennas with an LC balun, impedance matching, and Dickson charge pump circuits at each layer. The dual-polarized antenna for miniaturized design uses a bowtie-shaped meander dipole antenna having orthogonal arrangement. By measuring the efficiency of each diode stage of the rectifier circuit, a two-stage Dickson charge pump circuit with optimal efficiency was selected, and the dc outputs of the two rectifier circuits are connected in parallel. This rectifier circuit has a conversion efficiency of up to 71.4% and harvests approximately 1.6 times more power than a single-polarized circuit from any incident ambient RF signal. Due to its compact size and improved harvesting power at various incident angles, the proposed energy harvester can act as a power source, such as many kinds of ultralow power consumption systems, such as IoT sensors and medical applications.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 공과대학 > 전자공학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.