Colorimetric Detection of Norovirus in Oyster Samples through DNAzyme as a Signaling Probe
- Batule, Bhagwan S.; Kim, Seong U.; Mun, Hyoyoung; Choi, Changsun; Shim, Won-Bo; Kim, Min-Gon
- Issue Date
- AMER CHEMICAL SOC
- norovirus; PCR; G-quadruplex; shellfish; colorimetric sensor
- JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY, v.66, no.11, pp.3003 - 3008
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD CHEMISTRY
- Start Page
- End Page
- Worldwide, norovirus is one of the most associated causes of acute gastroenteritis, which leads to nearly 50 000 child deaths every year in developing countries. Therefore, there is great demand to develop a rapid, low-cost, and accurate detection assay for the foodborne norovirus infection to reduce mortality caused by norovirus. Considering the importance of norovirus, we have demonstrated a highly sensitive and specific colorimetric detection method for analysis of human norovirus genogroups I and II (HuNoV GI and GII) in oyster samples. This is the first report to employ colorimetric HRPzyme-integrated polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for direct norovirus detection from the real shellfish samples. We found that the HRPzyme-integrated PCR method is more sensitive than the gel electrophoresis approach and could detect the HuNoV GI and GII genome up to 1 copy/mL. The specificity of the proposed method was successfully demonstrated for HuNoV GI and GII. Further, we performed testing HuNoVs in the spiked oyster samples, and the HRPzyme-integrated PCR method proved to be an ultrasensitive and selective method for detecting HuNoVs in the real samples. By integration of the proposed method with the portable PCR machine, it would be more reliable to improve food safety by detecting HuNoVs in the different types of shellfish, such as oyster and mussel, at the production field.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 농업생명과학대학 > 식품공학부 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.