Exploring the characteristics of technological knowledge interaction dynamics in the field of solid-state batteries: A patent-based approachopen access
- Block, Anton; Song, Chie Hoon
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
- Solid-state batteries; Lithium-ion batteries; Patents; Co-classification; Patent analysis; Network analysis; Post-lithium-ion batteries
- JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION, v.353
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF CLEANER PRODUCTION
- This study provides a novel patent-based analysis framework for identifying the latent knowledge structure of technological domains by adopting dynamic perspectives. It uses patent data collected between 2010 and 2018 to systematically examine and visualize promising knowledge interactions that could foster the advancement of solid-state battery technology. Moreover, solid-state battery technology is compared with lithium-ion battery technology to demonstrate the difference in development focus. Based on different metrics and methodological designs, the results indicate that solid-state batteries are an emerging field driven by the uptake of electric vehicles. The results also reveal that a critical factor for desirable cell performance in lithium-based solid-state batteries is improvement to electrode-electrolyte interface stability, while the most critical factor for lithium-ion batteries is electrode materials. Additionally, materials, advanced manufacturing, battery engineering and automotive sectors must work together to establish a dominant design and corresponding value chain. Moreover, like with lithium-ion batteries, Asian manufacturers are dominating the patent space. The proposed framework is expected to add a new empirical perspective to the discussion of sustainable technology development and provide insight on innovation areas where key players can coordinate their activities to ramp up R&D operations.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 학과간협동과정 > 기술경영학과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.