The Meanings of Physics Equations and Physics Education
- Kim, Minchul; Cheong, Youngwook; Song, Jinwoong
- Issue Date
- KOREAN PHYSICAL SOC
- Physics equation; Physical meaning; Mathematical meaning; Ontological category; Epistemological category
- JOURNAL OF THE KOREAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY, v.73, no.2, pp.145 - 151
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF THE KOREAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY
- Start Page
- End Page
- Physics equation represents a relationship among symbols by modelling conceptual knowledge of physics mathematically. Teaching and learning the rich meanings of physics equations can enhance learners' understanding of physics concepts. From this expectation, we introduced various discussions which categorised the meaning of the physics equation according to the semantic relationship between the related concepts and the function and status of the physics equation. The physics equations are classified into interaction relationship, state relationship, and causal relationship according to the semantic relationship among the concepts included in the equation. This classification is based on the distinction of several ontological categories. Physics equations are also divided into empirical laws, definitions and principles according to their function and conceptual status. This classification of equations can provide a basis for teaching and learning physics in-depth.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 사범대학 > 물리교육과 > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.