Polyphenol mixture of a native Korean variety of Artemisia argyi H. (Seomae mugwort) and its anti-inflammatory effectsopen access
- Kim, Seong Min; Lee, Soo Jung; Saralamma, Venu Venkatarame Gowda; Ha, Sang Eun; Vetrivel, Preethi; Desta, Kebede Taye; Choi, Jin Young; Lee, Won Sup; Shin, Sung Chul; Kim, Gon-Sup
- Issue Date
- SPANDIDOS PUBL LTD
- Seomae mugwort; Artemisia argyi; polyphenol; flavonoid; liquid chromatography; anti-inflammatory activity
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR MEDICINE, v.44, no.5, pp.1741 - 1752
- Journal Title
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR MEDICINE
- Start Page
- End Page
- In the present study, a polyphenolic mixture was isolated from Seomae mugwort (SM; a native Korean variety of Artemisia argyi H.) via extraction with aqueous 70% methanol followed by the elution of ethyl acetate over a silica gel column. Each polyphenolic compound was analyzed using high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry, and compared with the literature. In addition to the 14 characterized components, one hydroxy-cinnamate, six flavonoids, and one lignan were reported for the first time, to the best our knowledge, in Artemisia argyi H. The anti-inflammatory properties of SM polyphenols were studied in lipopolysaccharide-treated RAW 264.7 macrophage cells. The SM polyphenols attenuated the activation of macrophages via the inhibition of nitric oxide production, nuclear factor-kappa B activation, the mRNA expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase, tumor necrosis factor alpha and interleukin-1 beta, and the phosphorylation of mitogen-activated protein kinase. Our results suggested that SM polyphenols may have therapeutic potential for the treatment of inflammatory-related diseases.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- 수의과대학 > Department of Veterinary Medicine > Journal Articles
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.