Cytokine Profiles of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients Treated with Concurrent Chemoradiotherapy with Regards to Radiation Pneumonitis Severityopen access
- Jeong, Bae Kwon; Kim, Jin Hyun; Jung, Myeong Hee; Kang, Ki Mun; Lee, Yun Hee
- Issue Date
- cytokine; non-small cell lung cancer; chemoradiotherapy; radiation pneumonitis
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE, v.10, no.4
- Journal Title
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE
- The immunologic aspects of radiation pneumonitis (RP) are unclear. We analyzed variations in cytokine profiles between patients with grade (Gr) 0-1 and Gr >= 2 RP. Fifteen patients undergoing concurrent chemoradiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer were included. Blood samples of 9 patients with Gr 0-1 and 6 with Gr >= 2 RP were obtained from the Biobank. Cytokine levels were evaluated using an enzyme linked immunosorbent assay at before radiotherapy (RT) initiation, 1, 3, and 6 weeks post-RT initiation, and 1 month post-RT completion. Concentrations of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF), interleukin (IL)-6, IL-10, IL-13, IL-17, interferon (IFN)-gamma, tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, and transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta were analyzed; none were related to the occurrence of Gr >= 2 RP at pre-RT initiation. At 3 weeks, relative changes in the G-CSF, IL-6, and IFN-gamma levels differed significantly between the groups (p = 0.026, 0.05 and 0.026, respectively). One month post-RT completion, relative changes of IL-17 showed significant differences (p = 0.045); however, relative changes in TNF-alpha, IL-10, IL-13, and TGF-beta, did not differ significantly. Evaluation of changes in IL-6, G-CSF, and IFN-gamma at 3 weeks after RT initiation can identify patients pre-disposed to severe RP. The mechanism of variation in cytokine levels in relation to RP severity warrants further investigation.
- Files in This Item
- There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in
- College of Medicine > Department of Medicine > Journal Articles
Items in ScholarWorks are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.